Monday, October 8, 2012

The Fall



Let's start with what is currently my favorite movie, because that makes it easy for me.  The Fall directed by the visionary Singh Tarsem.  Why should you see this movie?  The short answer: visuals.  The long answer: it just gets everything right (I'll expound on that in later posts)

The story follows a girl in the hospital with a broken arm who befriends a former stunt actor paralyzed from the waist down.  The man tells her stories to win her trust (not for entirely selfless reasons) and we see the stories unfold in the highly imaginative visuals of a young girl's mind, a girl who has never seen a movie before.  The fact that she's never seen a movie is key.  Her imagination is not limited by the need for continuity or period accuracy.  She imagines characters in extravagant costumes, she imagines the most lush and monumental settings, and she inserts people she knows from her own life as the key players of the story.

I'll admit the costumes are one of my favorite things about this movie. Where else would anyone ever think of putting Charles Darwin in a vibrant red fur coat?







A remarkable thing about this movie is that no sets were built.  Everything was filmed on location (The perceptive art history student will recognize places like Hagia Sophia, Capitoline Hill, and Hadrian's Villa).  And man, what locations they are.  Without a doubt some of the most stunning and unearthly looking places, all of which exist in real life.  



Another thing about this film that makes my heart flutter is the care given to cinematography.  You could pause nearly any frame of this movie and hang it up on your wall.


The visuals are fit for an epic, yet they exist to back up a much simpler story, that of a hopeful little girl and a broken man.  That contrast makes the visuals more intimate and the story more powerful, and overall makes for an amazingly beautiful movie.

2 comments:

  1. "The Fall" is awesome! It's one of my favourite films also!
    All things are perfect in it, and all scenes are beautiful and powerful!
    I don't want to spoil the film to anybody; but I have to say that I love the end, when the real story gets more epic than the imaginary one. It's fantastic when this one it gets intentionally ridiculous, and dialogues from the two realities are interlaced. I love it!

    Sorry for my English, but I'm Spanish. Yes, I laughed when the red bandit said that he would destroy every spanish thing! haha


    Alexia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I thought he was Spanish" "Noooo... he was French!" That part always makes me laugh :)

      What you just said is spot on! Even with all the epic things going on in the imaginary world, in the end the real story is more captivating.

      Delete